Thursday, August 30, 2012

What is the story?

I've always been a scrounger, a scavenger.  This explains why, in my high school days, I was captivated by The Source, a historical novel about Palestine written by James Michener. 

In this novel, archeologists dig trenches into the sides of large mounds, or "tells", which are buried locations of villages and small cities.  As they dig, the scientists unearth various objects (a sickle blade, a coin, etc.) and then Michener goes back in time and tells a story that includes this item in his narrative.  I love this book and have read it at least twice.

I was thinking about this book when, last weekend, while I was moving dirt around in my back yard, I exhumed an intriguing artifact:
The marble itself is not very interesting but the stories it could tell might be very intriguing.  "How long had this marble been there?  How did it get buried under a foot of dirt?  Who did this belong to?"  Unfortunately, I'll never know this marble's story.




The Curiosity Rover that just landed on Mars is zapping rocks with lazers, trying to wrestle a story out of them. 




For most of my life the Bible has been like rock with a story locked inside.  But lately, I've come to see and love the Bible as the story of God's redemptive plan for the creatures that bear his image. How did that change happen?  Good preaching has been the laser that has revealed the wonderful story.

No comments:

Post a Comment